Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Did you know....

that King Ferdinand of Bulgaria was the only king to speak Yiddish!

and Hereditary Grand Duke Wilhelm Ernst of Saxe-Weimar, described as heir presumptive to the Dutch throne, is "immensely wealthy." He has a "million invested in a bank," and also owns a slaughter house ... and sells his meat. I am not sure this means that the heir to the Saxe-Weimar grand duchy, actually set up a meat pie stand outside the schloss ... or to local butchers ... I expect the latter.
These toasty tidbits were reported in the Chicago Tribune, July 30, 1907 ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Where on earth did Ferdinand learn Yiddish? And why? Somehow, I cannot imagine Ferdinand visiting many ghettos, and I would have thought any Jews he met were likely to be upper-class and wealthy, and more conversant withh German, French and English than Yiddish.

Mary

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Just reporting what I read .... :)

Anonymous said...

Marlene

is there a biography on Ferdiand?
I have tons of books on Maria, Carol and Michael, even one of Carl but non on Ferdindand

best regards
Cabri

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Foxy Ferdinand by Stephen Constant. Published 1979. Are you in Belgium?

Anonymous said...

oh sorry I was talking about Ferdiannd of Romania... got mixed up?

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Not in English, that I know about.