Monday, July 18, 2011

The sister who won't be at Zara's wedding

In 1983,  Heather Tonkin, a New Zealand art teacher attended a riding clinic taught by Mark Phillips, then married to Princess Anne.  A year later, they met again for what can only be described as a one-night stand.   Neither Heather, who was "infatuated" with Mark, nor Mark, apparently used birth control, and nine months later, in August 1985, Heather gave birth to Mark's third child, a daughter, Felicity.

Miss Tonkin was eventually able to obtain a confidential settlement for Felicity, although Mark Phillips has never publicly acknowledged that he is Felicity's father, although a DNA test confirmed the relationship.

Felicity has never met Phillips and does not have any contact with her three half-siblings.  Mark also has a daughter by his second wife, Sandy.

Zara and Felicity share a common DNA: the same father, but I think it is a stretch to call Felicity a relative. 
I’ve thought about telling my side of the story,’ she confided to a friend. ‘But I’m not sure there’s much point. I don’t want to create bother for them and I like my life quiet. I just like getting on with it.’


Felicity, an equine vet, told a friend:  " I’ve thought about telling my side of the story. But I’m not sure there’s much point. I don’t want to create bother for them and I like my life quiet. I just like getting on with it.’



 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2016216/Zara-Phillips-royal-wedding-Felicity-Tonkin-love-child-half-sister-shes-met.html

2 comments:

The Blessed Virgin said...

Its funny how we all forgot about the other sibling. I didn't realise she was as old as Zara.

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Felicity and Zara share a common father, the former through a one night stand and the latter through a marriage. Genetically, the two women are half-sisters, but I doubt either see that because Felicity has been shut out of the family unit. Zara does have half-sister, Stephanie, and they do have a relationsip as siblings.