Tuesday, November 22, 2016

President Wilson sends condolences to new Emperor

November 22, 1916

President Woodrow Wilson today received a "personal message" from the new Karl, the new Austrian emperor, "giving notification of the death of the venerable Emperor Francis Joseph," reports the New York Times.

A reply was sent tonight.

"Washington, November 22, 1916.  His Majesty, Karl Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia and Apostolic King of Hungary,  Vienna:  I beg your Majesty to accept the sincerest sympathy of Mrs. Wilson and myself in the great loss which you have sustained in the death of your illustrious uncle, for whom I entertained sentiments of highest esteem and regard.  I also extend to your Majesty the condolence of the Government and people of the United States, and convey to you my best wishes for your personal well being and prosperity. WOODROW WILSON."


No comments: